Thursday 15 January 2009

Me Vs Daily Record Christians

Last week I sent an email to the letters page of the Daily Record. Scotland's 'top' newspaper. In reality it is only slightly better than the Scottish Sun and thus, its readership just slightly higher up the evolutionary scale... Somewhere between the pond scum that read the Star and the fully developed primates with opposable thumbs that read papers such as the Times and Guardian...

...anyway, this email I sent was to point out that the 'Pray' section in the letters page was out of date. That the number of non-Christians in Scotland had surely risen to the level where this was unrepresentative of the populace. I didn't actually believe this...I just enjoy pissing off over-zealous bible thumpers.

I got several replies. Some people were VERY angry. One dude from Glasgow called me a "PC Whiner" - to which I sent a reply stating that one of the worst forms of political correctness I knew of was the trend in this country to be unable to even think about criticising someone's 'faith' (read 'superstitious beliefs') if they were Christians, Muslims or Jews...but if they were Wicca, Pagan or anything else you are free to call them all the names under the sun...but then that is exactly the kind of hypocrisy I've come to expect from a Christian nation. Your religion is only worth something if it is based on millennia or more of pain, suffering, greed and murder.

This reply was not printed of course. In fact none of the numerous replies I sent standing up for myself were...it seems the editor(s) of the Record's Letters Page are happy for atheists to voice their opinions, but do not wish them to back them up, or defend them.

Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment