Thursday 15 January 2009

Jehovah Conversion

Right, so the other week a Jehovah's Witness attempted to convert me for the second time in my life...perhaps 'convert' is too strong a word, he handed me a piece of paper attempting to link the current financial crises to some passages in the bible.

Anyone who works with me will already know the guy, but I won't say more than that on who he is personally. The thing that gets to me is it isn't just a harmless leaflet handing out practice he's involved with. He attempts to befriend you first. It took him about two months of talking to me, to start with it was simple "hellos" then it moved onto mutual exchanges of our interests, what books we were reading etcetera, then eventually he gave me the wretched A4 handful of lies. This really pissed me off...firstly, attempting to force your beliefs onto another human being is so ABHORRENTLY WRONG that it's not even worth talking about. But more importantly in this situation, if you are going to ignore the fact that faith (or lack of) is an incredibly personal thing then at least be honest about it. Don't pretend to be my friend you cunt.

The first time a Jehovah tried to convert me he was the more traditional and cliché 'door to door' type. This one also started off with friendly conversation before moving onto matters of religion just in a much smaller time scale. When I told him I was an atheist he said the was very sorry about that and that I would be going to Hell. That's right, going to HELL. Which I found incredibly offensive. Why is it in today's Daily-Mail-reader world that to call someone a 'fucking cunt' is offensive but telling someone their going to Hell is only expressing your religious beliefs? One is nothing but words....sounds formed by the moments of you tongue and larynx whilst air passes over them , it doesn't mean anything (you're not actually calling someone a vagina having intercourse) whilst the other is the expression of the belief or hope that some will spend all of eternity enduring suffering, pain, fear and darkness.

Which really is worse?

No comments:

Post a Comment